by

http://qz.com/118844/asias-mega-mall-boom-is-headed-toward-bust/

An interesting article that was shared by my friend on facebook. Speaks the ugly truth about Jakarta's malls, whose many problems eventually boil down to one thing: there are simply too many of them.

During my internship period, I used to pass 5 malls on my way from home at Casablanca to work at Sudirman every morning. The distance's not even that great and there are 5 malls; granted that the area is probably one of the most mall-packed area in the city, but still. I've been itching for a place just like Gasibu or Saparua, but other than GBK I can't really think of an open public space like that. And it's not like Bandung is a godsent heaven of public places.

Jakarta has had enough malls, too many in fact. I don't think the city people need more of those monstrous places that looks so alike each other. We're not spoilt with choices - the numbers of the malls give of impression that there are a good variety of choices on spending time in Jakarta but really we don't, it's all the same.

As someone who truly hates spending time in malls, I find this as one of the most unappealing thing about living in Jakarta. Hope for a change, anyone?