by

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140206-is-facebook-bad-for-you
TS Eliot once spoke of television as "a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome".

A very good article, and sums up everything I feel about Facebook (and other social networking sites for that matter).
I stay connected through Facebook, Twitter, and Path because I need the ease to connect with friends, obtain informations, and stay updated to latest news and trends. If not for those, I think I'd rather stay away from them. Lurking on social networking sites is like watching a parade of human vanity; at worst one consciously boasts about the greats that are happening in one's life, at best one just selectively shares moments of one's life and pick those that portray it as decent, happy and successful enough, because it's not good to share unhappy moments right?
But then it's precisely because of this that I think social networking sites are affecting us in a bad way; it creates envy, it makes us constantly jealous of other people's life and inevitably compare them to our own. It makes us become increasingly unsatisfied with our own life, but that's just because we don't know the things that people do not share; they're painting a skewed picture of how they live their life.

Isn't it weird that social networking sites that are created to make us feel connected, to me makes me feel the exact opposite; it makes me feel more and more disconnected.
But maybe I'm not wise enough to separate myself from envy and jealousy. I am not wise enough not to make comparison, not to make assumption.
Sometimes I think I am not mature enough for social networking sites.